1926 and 2012 topo maps

At Hendericks there was a short section of double track that began just east of the station in the canyon and ran west to Hambelton. Hendricks was the beginning of the black fork grade. There was a station track behind the station that held 10 cars. There was also a spur that bridged the Black Fork River to a business called The Hinchcliff Lumber Company. Check out the 1926 topo map for yet another rail line and bridge east out of Hendricks. This railroad was in existence from 1913 to 1936 and was named the "Central West Virginia and Southern".

View Larger Map

Looking east in 1905 and again from the signal and a WM building at the West End of Hendricks and the double track. (2nd photo, Ray Wongus Collection of the WMRHS)

Warren Hart photographed the C87 milepost in the 1980's looking west at the West End of the double track at Hendricks.

The Hendrick's Station is very busy in this 1908 scene. A dog sits on the tracks perhaps growling at two people walking across the tracks as a salesman with a "Finger Sales" case watches the dog. (thanks to Warren Hart photo)

Both front and rear views on the same Hendricks Station photographed above but taken in 1917. (thanks to Warren Hart for photo)

Jack Brown photographed B&O Chessie GP40-2 4260 waiting at the "2nd Street" crossing for the mid-train helpers to arrive from Thomas. He would then board the train and ride up Black Fork Grade to Thomas. These shots from Jack Brown were taken in May 1983. The large buildings to the left in the photo are now gone. This crossing was just west of the former WM Station at Hendricks. (Jack Brown photo, May 1983)

WM RS3's have paused at the Hendricks Station in 1953. This was the rebuilt Hendricks Station that replaced the one pictured above. (thanks to Warren Hart for photo) I photographed the WM roadbed from about the same angle as the first photo. Notice that the old buildings are now gone. (1.15.2012)

Looking east from Hendricks Station over the road crossing ad up the beginning of Black Fork Grade. (1.15.2012)

Looking east and west from just east of the road crossing in Hendricks. This was also the location where a spur to the Hinchcliff Lumber Company left the mainline. (1.15.2012)

Jack Brown took this photo in May 1983 from the cab of a locomotive stopped at the East End of Hendricks. Jack had rode the Bayard Turn that day and photographed the mid train helpers westbound down the grade that would assist the Bayard Turn up the 3.05% grade. There were 12 units on the train that day.

This photo was taken by Ray Wongus and it shows the East End of the double track at Hendricks. The photo is also looking up Black water Canyon. Imagine how neat it would to have these track still in place for a short line railroad or tourist railroad!(Ray Wongus Collection of the WMRHS)

Hinchcliff Lumber Company spur

This is a photo of the mainline at Hendricks and switch to the Hinchcliff Lumber Company. (Ray Wongus Collection of the WMRHS)

Down in the Black Fork River looking up at the bridge that led to the Hinchcliff Lumber Company. The WM received car loads of wood chips from this business. This photo of the bridge was pieced together from two photos, so there is not a curve in the bridge as it may look here.(1.15.2012)

Up on the bridge looking west and than west again from the eastern bank of the river. Here a "WARNING KEEP OF THE BRIDGE" sign still stands in the vines. (1.15.2012)

Another photo when the sun came out of the bridge from the western river bank. (1.15.2012)

Go West
Go East